PS: The process is still ongong and we are still waiting for the confirmation of some more artists.
About the residency
CALL FOR: ARBITRIUM (Free Will) PROJECT SUMMER 2017
Fusion Art Gallery is a not-for-profit organisation and an independent gallery born in 2003 and focused on creation, presentation, and documentation of contemporary art in all its forms. Part of our program consists of international artist residencies aimed at promoting intercultural dialogue and artist mobility. We are based in Turin, Italy, near the city centre.
ARBITRIUM RESIDENCY PROJECT
The call is open to visual artists, writers, and performers who are interested in studying, analyzing, and researching the topic "FREE WILL" with the goal of producing a body of work, exhibition, and catalogue/book that includes a USB drive with videos, photos and other content created as part of the residency. The subject will be developed as a sort of "extended symposium" related to the area of interest of each artist.
The three-month stay (July, August, and September) will focus on study and debate-production-construction. Artists are required to be physically present in Turin throughout all three months of the residency. The exhibition and several public presentations of the finished project and book will take place throughout October. Artists’ presence is not required in October, but lodging is guaranteed. (Exhibition Finissage will be 28th October 2017.)
During these three months of individual and team work, we will host three thematic workshops with professionals in the Arts (guest artists, curators, etc.), Humanities (philosophy, psychoanalysis, etc.), and Sciences (astrophysics, etc.). There will be open study visits for the public and a one-week trip out of town, as well as a series of other group activities.
Our goal is to create an environment that fosters a free exchange of ideas and a productive and flexible debate. The artists will have the opportunity to work either in groups (processing ideas and organizing events with a shared schedule) or individually (without constraints in accordance with the tools of her/his practice).
FUSION AIR PROCESS
The FUSION AIR international residency program offers professional artists the opportunity to develop their own research without any "pre-organised" pressure. We are not going to ask you to submit any special "project" as our board of curators is undoubtedly capable of evaluating an artist's practice by reviewing her/his specific path through her/his own website. An artist's residency is, first of all, a place to learn, absorb, and experience. We are excited about the work-in-progress evolution of our artists' work. From the very moment the artist is selected, we will give her/him all our support and trust!
For further information about how the application process works, please read the application guidelines and note that applications will only be considered if they are complete, on time, and adhere to all guidelines. A complete application includes complete submission of the online application by the deadline.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Emerging and professional visual artists, performing artists, and writers working in all media and genres are eligible to apply.
DEADLINE: Saturday, 20 November 2016
SELECTED ARTISTS: The selected artists will be notified via e-mail on Thursday, 25 November 2016.
FACILITIES AND SERVICES
Artists will be provided with:
- a furnished room in a shared house nearby the Turin city centre and the Fusion Art Gallery;
- a shared studio in the 300+ square meters gallery space;
- studio space equipped with internet access, television, 2 bathrooms, electricity, and fully-furnished kitchen;
- a 15 rides public transportation ticket;
- a free "Torino & Piemonte" museum pass,
- 300 € of artist's supplies;
- copy of the ARBITRIUM PROJECT book (+ usb drive) published by our partner Edizioni Inaudite;
- ARBITRIUM PROJECT exhibition/presentation/talks at the end of the residency
(the show will open the new art season at the end of September 2017);
- three workshops with professionals in the fields of Art, Humanities, and Science;
- one week “outdoor” and some extra trips;
- some open studio events. Additionally, residents are encouraged to share their work at an informal gathering;
- a vivacious international network of art spaces, artists, curators, and professionals creating connections (mainly in Turin, Venice, Berlin, Milan, and Tuscany);
- staff to assist with housing, coordination of arrivals and departures, translation, and studio needs. The Fusion Art Gallery Director and the curators will be on site to offer support and advice.
- There are NO medium- or technique-specific facilities like a wood shop or media lab, but through our network of professionals, we will do our best to fulfil your needs.
- The residency fees don't cover travelling costs and food.
- Artists are responsible for their own visas.
GRANTs: Although we cannot provide any grants, we will be glad to assist independent artists in the process of requesting funding in their country by providing them with a formal letter of acceptance to the program.
NUMBER OF ARTISTS: between 8 and 12
COMPANIONS: A partner, friend, or child is temporarily permitted (no more than a week) with NO additional costs. Longer stays may be considered on a case by case basis. Guests must be registered in advance and are subject to space availability.
Three-month stay (July – September 2017) + 1 month (October 2017): 4000 €
After the selection, we request you pay a deposit of 1000 € by 31st December 2016. Once your deposit has been received, your space is confirmed. If your plans change, please let us know immediately so we can offer an artist on the waiting list an opportunity to participate. Your deposit will be refunded if your cancellation is made at least 3 months in advance of the starting date of the program. The remaining balance of your fee must be paid within the first day of your arrival.
FUSION AIR accepts direct payment and bank transfers (no cheques).
You must have international medical insurance. We do not accept legal responsibility.
NON DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
FUSION AIR welcomes artists of all genders, ethnic groups, and political and sexual orientations in its gallery, studios, and apartments.
Submissions are done entirely online. Please go to Arbitrium Application Guidelines to submit.
FUSION AIR SPECIAL:::
JULY - OCTOBER 2017
DEADLINE: Saturday, 20 November 2016 - CLOSED